Peter asked Jesus, “how many times should I forgive my brother when he offends me?”(Matt 18:21). Without waiting for Jesus’s reply, he added “seven times?” But Jesus replied, “seventy times seven”. Peter wished to hear a limited number of times so he could conveniently have his way after that number of times have been exhausted but the answer from Jesus was otherwise (limitless).
Jesus Christ didn’t wait for you to repent but went ahead to die for you on the cross with no conditions attached.You must forgive as long as you live.
Unless you forgive from your heart, your Heavenly Father will not forgive you(Matt 18:35). You are also expected/commanded by God, to forgive your fellow man’s sins.
You will go through some tribulations for Jesus Christ to use you to bring people to Him when you forgive those who wrong you. “Forgive, but don’t forget”. As in the parable of Jesus in Matt.18:21-35: The master who forgave the servant his debt didn’t forget, that is why he had him arrested when that same servant didn’t forgive his fellow servant.
Let the bitterness and the experience go.
Don’t let the bitterness reign in your heart.
You cannot give that which you don’t have. You can only preach forgiveness to others when you have the spirit of forgiveness. People will offend you in many ways, but you must forgive them for your own sake.
Don’t pray for God to give you the strength to forgive those who have offended you, for you have been given the knowledge and the FREE WILL to forgive. Do it for Christ’s sake, no matter the provocation. Just look unto God and pray that He teaches you to manage them.
Some points to note about forgiveness
- Forgiveness is not a method to be learned as much as a truth to be lived
- Even when you can’t see the result of forgiveness, you can still know you’ve done what God requires of you
- As a child of God, the ordeals you go through are meant to take you deeper into His heart
- Forgiveness does not mean ‘pretending the offense never happened’
- The memory of past hurts can provide a powerful platform for ministry to other hurting people
- The outcome of our lives is not determined by what happens to us but our response to it.
- Forgiveness is not an emotion; it is out of your will
- The glory of Christianity is to conquer by forgiveness
Romans 12:18 tells us, it depends on you to forgive to shape your own life. Let your life lead others to Christ, forgive freely.Amen!