Sunday 19th April, 2019 [Good Friday]
Today marks Good Friday on the Christian calendar, a day we celebrate and re-enact the death and burial of our Lord and Saviour Jesus, The Christ.
The theme given to us for our meditation this day is “Dying with the Lord” One question remains: ‘Are you ready to die as He was ready to die?’
- It was foretold by the prophets long ago
- It was an agonising death; what some will call “slow and tortured to death”
- He died like a common criminal and between two criminals, when He had committed no crime.
REASONS FOR HIS DEATH
- Our second passage gives us some of the gains from his death
- Forgiveness of sins. Such that God does not remember our sins any longer (Heb. 10:17-18)
- We have confidence to enter the most Holy Place by the blood (Heb. 10: 19)
- He serves as our great High Priest (Heb. 10:21)
- We can approach God in confidence. (Heb. 10:22)
He had very good reasons to lay down his life
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO DIE WITH CHRIST?
- Our death in Christ is a death to the old self, the old ways, the sinful life.
Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules:
For you died to this life, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God.
We know that our old sinful selves were crucified with Christ so that sin might lose its power in our lives. We are no longer slaves to sin. For when we died with Christ, we were set free from the power of sin.
- It means a new life in Christ
2 Timothy 2:11
Here is a trustworthy saying: If we died with him, we will also live with him;
Do not let any part of your body become an instrument of evil to serve sin. Instead, give yourselves completely to God, for you were dead, but now you have new life. So, use your whole body as an instrument to do what is right for the glory of God.
HOW DO WE LIVE THIS NEW LIFE?
- Set you mind thinking of things above and not on these earthly things
Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.
- Allow the Holy Spirit to lead you through the word of God
So, I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves.
- Our faith in the Lord calls upon us to be dead with Christ and alive with him;
- Dead to our old ways of doing things
- Dead to our sinful nature
- Alive with Christ
- Alive to faithfulness to Him
- Alive to obedience to the Holy Spirit
Let the death of Christ be worth it in your life.