BIBLE STUDY: LET THE EARTH HEAR – SECTION 1 LESSON 002A
CONTROVERSIES AROUND THE DEFINITION OF THE GOSPEL
Bible Passage: Galatians 1:6-10
Supporting Scriptures: Acts 15:1-11, 19-20
- That we may KNOW that there are misunderstandings about the definition of the gospel
- That we may CHERISH the need to define the gospel in full
- Be able to EXPRESS what is wrong with any given definition of the gospel
Q1. WHAT WAS HAPPENING TO THE CHURCHES IN GALATIA (which included the Church in Antioch)? (Gal 1:6, 7)
- They had so quickly began deserting the one who called them to live in the grace of Christ
- They were turning to a different gospel…which was really no gospel at all
- They were being thrown into confusion by the preaching of a different gospel
- The gospel of Christ was being perverted
The believers were being taught that unless they were circumcised according to the custom taught by Moses they could not be saved (Acts 15:1-5)… THIS WAS A DIFFERERENT GOSPEL
Q2. HOW IS THIS A PERVERSION OF THE GOSPEL?
- The gospel, by which we are saved is JESUS and none other. Salvation is therefore not dependent on things like circumcision as was being preached.
According to Acts 4:12 – ‘Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name than the name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved’.
Q3. HOW THEN IS ONE SAVED? (Acts 15:6-11; Eph. 2:8, 9)
According Acts 15:11 and Ephesians 2:8 & 9, we are saved by GRACE through FAITH in Jesus Christ.
Salvation is therefore a gift of God that we must simply stretch out in faith and receive…we are not saved by works.
Q4. WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO KNOW THE TRUE DEFINITION OF THE GOSPEL AND PRESENT IT CORRECTLY?
- According to 1:8-9, No one, not even angels, are permitted to present any other gospel than the one presented in the scriptures.
- Anyone who perverts the gospel comes under God’s curse (v.9b)
THE GOSPEL IS A PERSON TO BE BELIEVED IN. WE MUST SEEK A CONTINUOUS RELATIONSHIP WITH THE PERSON JESUS CHRIST WHO IS THE GOSPEL.